Thursday, December 4, 2008

Going Home

I arrived to Argentina a little less than a week ago. We landed last Sunday afternoon to be exact. So far, I've seen some improvements, and Buenos Aires is a pretty as it has always been. I only stayed in that city for a few hours however. Enough to notice the cultural change that has shaped that city, and the influence of the United States in my hometown. Case in point my mom and her longing for alfajores de maicena. They go really well with a cortado (an expresso shot with just a little bit of milk), and they traditionally Argentine. On Sunday, and while we were waiting for the bus that brought us to where I am today we went to a coffee shop and asked for both an alfajor, and a cortado. Well, the server informed us that he could provide us witht he cortado, but that he didn't have any alfajores de maicena, or any alfajores for that matter. That if we wanted we could a brouni (browny) or a chiscaque (cheesecake). WHAT?!?!

Yup, we traveled over 16 hours simply to get a fucking browny!

More updates soon.

No comments: